You must register to vote at least 30 days before an election.
Age: Must be 18 years old by Election Day
Citizenship: Must be a United States citizen
Residency: A resident of Michigan and the city or township where you are applying to register to vote.
ID Requirements: New voters must have one of the following methods of identification:
– Driver’s license number
– Personal ID number
– Copy of a current and valid photo identification (such as a driver’s license or personal ID card)
– Copy of a paycheck stub, utility bill, bank statement, or government document which lists your name and address
The above identification requirement does not apply if you personally deliver your voter registration form to your county clerk’s office, or you are disabled, or eligible to vote under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA).
Online: Michigan voter registration
Phone: Contact your County Clerk’s office
Michigan has an open primary system; individuals do not need to be registered with a party to vote in their primary elections. However a voter may only vote in a single party primary.
Online: Michigan voter registration application
In person: you can register to vote at any of the following places
– at your county, city, or township clerk’s office; or by visiting any Secretary of State Branch office.
In addition, the following State agencies offer voter registration services to their clients:
– Department of Human Services
– Department of Community Health and the Department of Career Development
– Military recruitment centers also provide voter registration services.
By mail/ in writing: Download a form online and mail it completed to the address indicated on the form. If you register by mail, you must vote in person at your assigned precinct the first time you vote, unless you are one of the following:
– disabled as defined by state law
– 60 years of age or older
– you are eligible to vote under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act
By fax: Consult your county clerk for faxing options.